Design by a pupil at St Mary’s Primary School. Made during a workshop led by artist Emily Warner as part of their project Digital Postcards, delivered during the Wednesbury HSHAZ Pilot programme, High Street Stories, 2020.
There’s lots of changes happening in, and around, Market Place that are part of the Wednesbury High Street Heritage Action Zone. Between now and January 2024, Multistory will deliver ‘We are Wednesbury’, a cultural, community engaged programme is being developed with, and for, local residents, communities and artists. Multistory is producing a series of creative activities that celebrate the people and stories that make Wednesbury unique and the people of Wednesbury are invited to take part.
Throughout the next three years, expect to see performances, community events, a street festival, projects with schools, craft stalls and community walks animating the streets of Wednesbury. Multistory will launch the programme in December 2021 with the project Market by artist duo Hipkiss & Graney who will run a series of free textile workshops that invite Wednesbury residents to explore the town’s stories and histories, with work to be shared at a community-led celebration of the refurbished Wednesbury Clock Tower. Alongside this, look out for plenty of other activities in the run up to March 2022, including Market Place events, an open photography competition, live performances in shops and a project that celebrates the diverse languages, cultures and dialects of Wednesbury.
A summary of the activities taking place between December 2021 and March 2022 is listed below.
- Wednesbury Through the Lens: a photography competition for everyone. You can send in photographs that you have taken of your favourite people, places, food, building – anything that you think makes Wednesbury unique. More details on our News page.
- Creative Workshops: artist duo Hipkiss & Graney invite Wednesbury residents to co-create MARKET, a new community artwork. Join in one of our fun, free textile and painting workshops to explore Wednesbury’s stories and histories! More info on how to book here.
- We Are Wednesbury Magazine: young citizen journalists will write pieces for a new, community newspaper that shares stories from the high street.
- Pop Up Poetry: a project that shines a light on independent businesses at the heart of Wednesbury high street through a programme of performances taking place in shops.
- A Street Full of Dialect: local storytellers and performers will celebrate the diverse languages, cultures and dialects in Wednesbury in a newly commissioned short film.
- Community walks: local artists and creatives will lead accessible and inclusive walks around the conservation area and high street, to share histories and stories about Market Place.
There are lots of opportunities to get involved so email email@example.com to find out more.
The High Street Heritage Action Zone Community Engagement and Cultural Programme is funded by Sandwell Council and Historic England and is being developed by Multistory.